So it’s your first day and you’re having a hard time leaving your child at daycare. This can be especially true when it’s an infant. You stand there not knowing how and when to leave. This is a perfectly normal reaction and don’t feel embarassed if you are leaving the facility in tears. Some parents do this for weeks before they are at peace with placing their child in the care of another person.
Here are a few things to remember to make the transition easier for you:
- Arrive a few minutes early so you can get your child settled in.
- Chat with the caregivers, getting to know them will put you at ease.
- Don’t worry if your child is upset when you leave, they truly do calm down.
- Once you make the decision to go, you really need to go – no lingering.
- Give a quick call when you arrive at work just to check in.
Be open to advice from the director and staff. They are there to help with the transition. Before you know it, you’ll be a pro comforting other new parents in no time.
– Jackie & Jo-Jo